March 10, 2011

What's a Phone Call?

I realized today that something is very wrong with my friends and I; something very odd indeed. I realized that the best way to talk to anyone I know is NOT on the telephone, which is pretty odd because we are the last generation to remember what it's like to have a landline. I grew up in the olden times where you didn't have to memorize area codes, and there was such a thing as being charged for long distance, and you were considered "cool" if you had your own cordless phone.
These days everyone I know has a smart phone, not so much a phone, but a pocket sized computer that you sometimes use to call people (mainly used in emergencies, or to call nagging family members). Personally, have an aversion to talking on the phone simply because for most of my day its not convenient and I can multitask while texting. Then there's the issue of getting a good signal and risking a dropped call. Am I the only one that thinks its strange that you can have half of one bar on your phone but still manage to send a text AND  check-in to Foursquare, but not be able to connect to a call?
I wonder if kids still talk on the phone to their boyfriends and girlfriends, or if its all about sexting. I don't know when it happened but I haven't used my phone as a phone (for lesuire) in a while. As I get older I wonder if this will change, but for now I'll continue to make the most of my unlimited texts.

3 comments:

  1. I WILL read your blog. It is now bookmarked. And the funny thing is that in my tumblr blog (which is the one i use the most) i argue the contrary. people rely too much on texts/twitter/facebook etc that people forgot the art of talking to people. interpersonal communication is becoming a lost art

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so feel this post. "why are you calling me?!". Lol. <3. How crazy it is that those after us don't remember not having a cell phone...or only having a landline, with a cord so long it could wrap around your body about 5 times! What are the future generations going to have so that the generation after us thinks, "we're the last generation to remember having...". Crazy.

    ReplyDelete