October 6, 2011

Follow Your Bliss

His name was Matt. He was a long time acquaintance of mine in college. We didn't hang out in the same circles but, our paths always seemed to cross, especially when I decided to act in the school play sophomore year. Hey was a big guy, shy, into books and theater. He was a techie stagehand through and through, he actually taught me how to use the lighting boards before practices and run throughs. He was a playwright, sometimes comedian, but in general a good guy who was willing to help anyone out, his favorite saying; "follow your bliss". Matt passed away from lung failure after an automobile accident in his first year of grad school in 2004.

I was reminded of Matt yesterday when I heard the about the passing of Steve Jobs, and the subsequent quotes and anecdotes he left behind about life, technology, and the world. Many people sit and listen thinking about their own mortality, and of how little of their life they're living. Yesterday I was no exception. I couldn't help but feel that somehow being forced into my tiny cubicle everyday was the sole cause for the loss of my critical thinking skills and laziness. But then hearing about the passing of an innovator of a generation, I was reminded that not all great minds are known the world over. I reflected on Matt's life and his philosophy, and how no matter what others thought of him, he was still the same guy who never took anything for granted and wanted to fiercely become his own hero by following his bliss.

This next year of my life I've got to learn to do the same, to become my own innovator and hero, not be afraid to fail and try again. If I'm still alive, then really I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If I truly believe that, then finding and following my bliss will all be refreshingly rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment