September 30, 2009

The Awesomeness that is Kid Robot


I've been a fan of the Arts all my life. When I was 6 you couldn't tell me that I wasn't going to be the next Micheal Jackson (RIP). When I was 11, I dedicated myself to drawing and animation with impressive results, and in High School I knew the wave of the future would be Digital Art & Music (hence my Bachelor's Degree). But after a disasterous Senior year, and mediocre work as a freelance artist, I decided to hang up the artist hat (fueled by an artistic breakdown which resulted in the destruction of much of my portfolio). This doesn't mean that there isn't a little kid with a sharp set of pencils dying to come out, and I know that kid would have a hell of a time with Kid Robot's Munny & Dunny series. Its a toy, but at the same time its a work of Art. Created by eccentric genius Paul Budnitz, Kid Robot blends together urban styles and pure artistry. I think the best part of Kid Robot is that a lot of the character (called Munny &  Dunny, each with their own prop, and story series) art is done by Graffitti writers or street artists. I love street art, and my appreciation for graffitti goes back to the mid '90s (my fav being the German & French writers). The vinyl characters range from $9.95-$200 for do-it-yourself versions, and up to the thousands for custom made characters. Hopefully one day soon the artist kid will come out and play, and I'll have a little Munny waiting for her. Here are some of my favs:








For all my Philly heads Check out graff artist NOSE (if you've even been in the South St. area I'm sure you've seen his work. He's a cool guy, I've been to some of his openings), his work was featured at Jinxed @ the Piazza in NoLibs

No comments:

Post a Comment