July 30, 2009

The Art of Shutting the Fuck Up.




Call it hormones, call it "being in the silence" but lately...I don't want to talk. I don't want to hear other people talking about things that mean nothing. I imagine the average person wastes about a good 5 hours a day rambling on and on about nothing. Now, I am not a misanthrope by any means. I love people. I enjoy good conversation, meeting new people, hanging out, etc... Recently, I really could care less about talking about "my day" or "what I'm thinking" or "what are you doing?". I just don't want to talk.

Its to the point where I come home, and I want to hear no one talking back to me unless I am watching my Hulu, or I have to have a phone meeting. I've cut myself off from most people. This is not necessarily a good thing. People take things personally, and my quest for silence has nothing to do with them. I just want silence. I want to think or rather...NOT think. And silence allows me to do that. This could also be caused by the loud and annoying co-worker at my job, the incessant ringing of the phone, and the 30 something conversations I have at work, that when I come home, I practice the "Art of Shutting the Fuck Up". Yes, its an Art. Try keeping your mouth closed for a good hour, and just observe your thoughts....its interesting. All this has got me thinking though...when did I become so crotchety?? lol. So I challenge you all, if you're ever in a mood, or in a place where you don't want to hear anyone speak, practice this Art. It will save your sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment