November 23, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Its started. They're pumping the Christmas music in through the vents at my job, stores are staying open later and opening earlier, and all the TV commercials are holiday themed. Its that time of year. Strangely, I'm not annoyed or bothered by any of the blatant materialism of the season because I actually love this time of year, not the weather, but those six weeks of harmonious holiday bliss that end every year on a cheerful note.
For me this time of year represents all the best in humanity. It gives me hope that we're not all out for self and really care about each other. Growing up, this would be the time of year where I would go caroling for the elderly with my Salvation Army youth group, help with canned food drives, and share a meal and a laugh with those less fortunate (giving back has always been a central theme in my life). I'm reminded of a time where I was surrounded by family, love, warmth, and took pleasure in the simplest of things. The snow blanketing the ground and canceling school, the family stories, and those holiday CDs that we still play to THIS day (if you don't own It's A Go-Go Christmas, then you're not a true Washingtonian).
As an adult I find myself struggling to re-create the traditions of old while creating new traditions at the same time. This year's goal is to have peace of minding knowing that no matter who I'm with the spirit of the holiday will be felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment