December 14, 2011

The Big Chop

So I've played around with the idea of cutting my hair for years. I think most women do, but as a "natural sista" the idea of this is a tad bit nerve racking. For one, I'm pretty proud of the length I have, took me an eternity to grow it, but I am sick of doing it (or paying to get it done). Secondly, I've always believed having shorter hair would allow for easier maintenance and a variety of styles. Many people over the years have been pushing for me to get dredlocks, but that's just a commitment that I can't make, besides I don't think I'd look good with locs, and loc maintenance is just a whole other process within itself.

I know the "the big chop" has a lot of symbolic meaning, but to be honest, I just want to have hair I can be more lazy with. As any Black woman will tell you, our journey with our hair is a love/hate relationship (mine has been mainly hate), I think I want to love my hair more by not messing with it so much. Keep it short and simple. Now if I could only find a decent spot to do the cut....

No comments:

Post a Comment