March 2, 2009

Snowstorms & Yoga

Apparently March has roared in like a lion. I went to bed in the wee hours yesterday to a virtual winter wonderland. As much as I love when the snow falls (its the only natural thing that "falls" from the sky, yet makes no noise), I hate to travel in it. Cold feet, frozen face, wet clothes, SEPTA delays, snotty nose...ugh! So I braved the weather and took the late shift at work. While waiting for my train to come (damn near an hour thanks to the regional rail line), I paroused the Faber Bookstore in Suburban Station (after grabbing the Power Special @ the Enerjuicer, my fav place. Everytime I walk in the stout Latino man behind the counter greets me with a warm smile, salsa blasting through the speaker (today's choice was Marc Anthony), and an AWESOME beverage. The combo for fruit, nuts, yougurt and vitamins keep me alert and wired ALL DAY!! Love it. Today, he finally gave me a "frequent juicer" card, a sure sign that out consumer-merchant relationship had now moved to the next level. I found myself staring at the new releases and N.Y. Times Bestsellers. As usual I scoffed at the "urban" books, and moved on to something that was going to feed my mind and not enhance a stereotype.


My eyes landed on The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Mao by Junot Diaz. I have not been able to put this book down! I am enjoying it immensely. Junot narrates the book so realistically, not sugar coating anything. I think I enjoy the book so much because it reminds me of my favorite book of all time; Maniac McGee by Jerry Spinelli. In both novels, the hero of the story is an intellectual loner who yearns to feel and be normal, dreaming up a grandiose life they will never have. Reminds me a lot of myself. Growing up and now. I also enjoy the fact that Junot is from North Jersey and lives in NYC, so the book mentions, places, things and historical events I am familiar with. I also LOVE that the family is Dominican. I'm a huge lover of all think Puerto Rican...we all know, but now I get a chance to learn more about my beloved platanos, with whom I am always mistaken (I have my dad's mixed heritage, and my mom's random Anglo lineage to thank for my awkward skin tone, and fine yet kinky hair. I swear if I added "pero" strategically in conversation, no one would doubt I wasn't a Latino). Reading 2 books at a time, and starting a new work out regimine will be interesting. I hope my brain and body can keep up with each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment