October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween!! Or...El Día de los Muertos



Last month I took a well deserved short vacation to New Mexico. The day we went to the historic town of Mesilla, I paroused the open market place and purchased some touristy goods. While taking in all the sites and sounds of the vendors, I noticed many of them selling little smiling skeleton figurines. These figurines were used in the celebration El Dia de los Muertos. After asking many questions aboout the holiday and doing a little research, I wondered "why isn't this holiday more celebrated?" I think its cool. The idea that life is a celebration, something to be welcomed as we pass from one form of conciousness to another. Don't get me wrong I'm all for Halloween (even though I haven't much enjoyed the holiday since I was 6), but any excuse I can get for getting a good taco and throwing back a few ice cold Coronas, I'm down!

Below is the scariest person I think of being for Halloween, I'm sure this will scare many! Happy Halloween everyone:

No comments:

Post a Comment