January 4, 2010

Music Mondays Vol I.

Happy New Year & Welcome Back to Black Hippy!!! So the direction we're going in for 2010 is multiple posts a week spotlighting everything from music, fashion, art, movies, politics, service projects, the pangs of the Quarter-Life Crisis, and of course my random Philly happenings! Enjoy!

In the spirit of the Twitteverse, Mondays are dedicated to new Music. The term "new" being relative so let's just say its "new" to me, or something I've stumbled upon again reawakening my ears. Vol. 1 is dedicated to DJs.

Lately I've been bumping A LOT of DJs, listening to mixtapes, going to chatroom parties and afterparties, and....I LOVE IT!! Being that today's Hip Hop is mainly ALL about the MC and their random antics, its nice to revisit the "guy behind the table" because that's who gets the crowd moving. Hip Hop used to be more about the DJ, and the MC enhanced the flavor. Now things seem to be the other way around. So how do DJs stand out? Simple. They promote themselves heavily (thanks Twitter and Facebook), and produce and blend original mixes that MCs crave to drop their 16 on. If 2009 has shown us nothing its that if you're on a banging mixtape, record execs will follow (Just ask Drake and Asher Roth).

Vol. 1 DJs:
DJ Afrojack- This Dutch kid is crazy amazing with his remixes and blends. I was put on to him by a mutual friend who shares my love of DJs and good music. Since he's European he's got more of an electronica/dance appeal. Sharing production credits and the turntables with the likes of Diplo and Dave Guetta. He was actually invited by Kanye's imprint Fool's Gold to remix Kid Cudi's "Poke Her Face". Its one of my favorite remixes! Follow him on Twitter @djafrojack


Kid Cudi - Make Her Say Afrojack Remix - Fresh45 Video MIX! from fresh45! on Vimeo.

DJ PHNX-Personal friend and GREAT DJ!! NJ/NY representing all day. Plays EVERYTHING, but I love the salsa/merengue/reggae/dancehall/reggaeton/club mixes the best, lol. He's back to doing Sunday night chatroom parties which is EXACTLY what it sounds like. A bunch of people vibing to the music, watching him do his thing! There's even a virtual bar and dancing. His new project: University of PHNX Vol 1: Freshman Year is a fantastic mix and features up and coming Latin Urban artist Supanova. No lie, I expect to hear clips of Freshman Year at stroll/step shows nationwide this Spring. Check out his site to download the mix for FREE.








DJ Viper- He's "NEW" to me, but not to Greeks in upstate NY. He hosts the chatroom afterparty on Sunday Nights, right after PHNX, and he goes IIINNNN! Has more of a house/club feel, but throws in the old school to calm your heart rate. After all we are talking Sunday nights...not Thirsty Thursdays! What makes him stand out to me is his pure passion and love for the art of turntablism. Hope to hear more of his mixes soon, but I'll stay tuned into the afterparties for now. Follow him on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment