June 15, 2010

I just don't get it


The World Cup has started! Teams from across the globe are competing against one another in the most watched and played game on the planet: Soccer. My friends on Twitter (and in real life) are all abuzz, rooting for their home countries and favorite teams. Except for me. I don't get it. I just don't get soccer!
I can appreciate the athleticism but I have no concept of how it works, what the positions are, and why you can end the game in a tie. Maybe its because I'm an American, and here Soccer isn't that high on the sports totem pole. Long viewed as a hobby game for kids, Soccer is now becoming more prevalent in the US. Most states now have teams and the games are being televised on local networks. Maybe if I watch it a little more I'll understand, but for now I'll just enjoy the random tweets and comments about the games.

1 comment: