August 1, 2011

The Nation. The Debt.

I haven't talked politics in a while, but I figured today would be as good as any to start up again. After weeks of bitter negotiations between Democrats and Republicans (of which neither party do I belong to), the House of Representatives just voted in a bill that would help the United States, and the world, avoid economic catastrophe. Normally everyone would see this as a victory, but its not.
The beginning phase the bill calls for an immediate cut of $1 trillion dollars, extends the nation's debt limit, and sets up a committee of 6 Dems and 6 Reps to decide where the other cuts will come from, and if there should be a tax hike on the wealthiest of Americans to create more revenue. I think what upsets most young Americans, like myself, is that after we made one of the most historical votes our nation has ever seen, Republicans have still managed to rain on our parade! I was proud of Obama strutting out days ago staying firm to his message of "I'm not signing anything that doesn't include a tax hike", but now I feel that he's given in a bit too much. Yes, there is still hope that this committee could include tax hike, and cut spending from more "fatty" areas other than standard entitlement programs, but we all know that's a long shot. What happened to Obama standing firm? And why are freshman Tea Party members so naive? They all say "The people want Washington to stop spending so much and create a balanced budget", which in a sense is true.
As an American I'd like a balanced budget, a strong economy and maybe relive the days where the LAST Democratic President got us a surplus (thanks Clinton)! However, I don't want to pay a higher interest on my student loan bill, or be require to put down 50-70% of a mortgage so members of the Tea Party can keep their tax credits and aviod tax loopholes for their sweetheart businesses and contracts. I want a balanced budget, but not at the expense of having a lousy existence working 70hr/wk mandatory to make ends meet for THEIR cuts. I don't think its too much to ask wealthy Americans to cough up a little more, seeing as how people such as myself have been footing the bill for their contracts. I also don't understand how they plan to free up money if all they're focusing on it cuts. Those cuts mean fewer jobs, which means higher unemployment, which means more people taxing the system and not being able to pay. If this sounds like the housing crisis all over again that's because in some respects it is.
For now, as an everyday American, I'll take solace in knowing our credit rating is still top notch, and that China won't send our bills to collections (imagine ships of Chinese repo men dismantling Washington?!). I'll breathe a little easier for a year or so, and even though he caved (and he shouldn't have), I'll still stick with Obama. The doggedness of the Red Team, and their ability to alienate is now out for all the world to see. Even though he's loosing the battle, I hope my guy comes back to win the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment